Friday, July 13, 2012

I Beat the Rain!

I beat the rain!  Okay not really, but here is the story...

First, this is the rain gauge as of Thursday morning, representing the remaining from the Tuesday night rain...  I am trying this summer to track what our overall rainfall is.  If I can get that done, then when I finally get all of the proper water collection in, I will track that and what I am able to use from water reclamation/ catchment for next year's season.  I think it will be really interesting, but I am a scientist at heart!

So last night, I finally got these two cacti planted.  I really hope they make it.  Charlie's aunt gave them to us a while ago, and there is just so much to do, it is always dark by the time I get to looking at them.  Yes, I did it all by myself, as usual, so yes, they look a little drunk.  But I think they will do fine, even if they are a little askew like everything else here!  As I was doing it, the sprinkling was beginning for the evening's rain.

Lickily, I had already gotten these two rosebushes in.  There was a woman putting in a cactus garden who didn't want these rosebushes anymore, so she offered them for free.  I offered her some of the spineless prickly pear ones I have too many of, but so far she hasn't taken me up on it.  They might be too big for her area.  But Bailey helped me place these in.  Oh, and Shadow, too.  She has her nose in everything right now!

This is the other one.  Interesting, this one is smaller overall, but has a larger root ball.  Better brush up on my rose raising facts this weekend.  It has been a while!  Oh, and so far, the chickens aren't messing with them!  Big bonus there!

So the rain came in as I finished, and the lightning too, so I didn't get to water in the greenhouse.  The storm seemed so crazy, thought the rain slow and light until around the end of the news.  It got really crazy later on, as I was still up working on some projects for Charlie and finishing the soap batch.  This morning, I got this photo of the rain gauge this morning.  Funny, only about two tenths.  After such a crazy storm!  You just never know, right?

Well, so I didn't beat the rain on enough, but this morning, lots of digging out to do!  And I had best stay on task because I need to go to the computer place on my way to pick up Wyatt from camp in Oracle.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment