Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This Morning's New Surprises...

This morning, at around six, the thumping in the incubator began...

With all of the pipping, I slept in the living room so I would sleep lightly enough to get up if anything needed my attention.  So at around six, the thudding began. So I got up, checked on the chick who was then jostling all the other eggs around, realized it was a Silkie, and then plugged int he brooder light to warm up for when the little one was dry.

Turns out, I needed the new light bulb I bought yesterday, the littler one wasn't enough in the Winter chill.
 Within a couple hours, the little chick was  wandering the brooder, giving the other one space to hatch without harassment.  The first chick was not happy about being on her own in the brooder, but made friends with the stuffed armadillo I put in the brooder, and then made friends with the thermometer, too.  

The kids got a good laugh out of that part, but hey, if they life at our house, they cannot be boring, right?


I snapped a couple pictures before leaving for the farmers market.  She was very content with the water, and made a few faces at me for the camera!


This is the other little one. She had just moved from the incubator when I was headed out. Apparently, the love for the thermometer and the armadillo flows in both of them!  Silly little ones.


Well, everyone is in the capable hands of the farm hands at home for now.  Plenty of eggs not in the incubator, too!  More adventures are always to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment