Sunday, January 12, 2014

If Recipes Came with Warnings...

I got a magazine in the mail the other day. I don't often have much time for reading them, so was feeling a little guilty about that, and started to page through this one while waiting to have my blood drawn the other day.  A couple recipes caught my eye, including this one.


The recipe itself looked really cute, chocolate mouse in ice cream cones, dipped in chocolate and topped with almonds. But the recipe had a lot of crazy stuff in it, so I thought I could get by with a few substitutions. I figured I could buy some cute little ice cream cones, fill them with french silk made with simple pure ingredients, then dip in chocolate and top with almonds. Sounds simple enough, right?


I took time for extra refrigeration of the cones with the french silk before I dipped them in chocolate, as french silk can be quite touchy that way.  Wyatt was finishing some math, and getting pretty excited for dessert.  So I melted the chocolate and got going on dipping, which was a little too mess, and therefore I resorted to painting the chocolate on with a spatula and sprinkling the almonds on top.

I thought things would be fine, when I tried to return them to the fridge to harden more.

There was a crash, several fell out of the tray into the fridge, a few crashed on the floor.


Wyatt jumped up to stop Shadow from heading toward chocolate and helped me clean up the mess, securing the remaining for dessert.  



The ones I grabbed on the way down, came out rather lopsided.

Wyatt looked at me trying to decide what to do and said,
"It's a good thing recipes don't come with warnings, or people would never try them."


We both got a pretty good giggle. For someone who dislikes writing so, he has some pretty good one-liners! Had I known the outcome, I still would have played with this fun little recipe.  But there have been a few experimental recipes that might not have happened over the years.

So if you had realized things wouldn't turn out like the photo, is there anything you would not have tried? 




No comments:

Post a Comment