Saturday, January 11, 2014

Planting Away...

I am a little behind again, will try to catch up in the next day =). Last week, I FINALLY got busy with pulling out the dead plants that were lost in the freeze (so much for the fancy freeze cloth.)  Then I got going, planting lettuce- spinach and the brown seeded simpson that worked so well last year, and the darker greens, the kale and something else I cannot recall right now.


The random head of lettuce in that planter above is from a leftover seed group that I must have missed when I let the brown seeded simpson go to seed last year so I could harvest seeds for this year. It volunteered and grew of its own, and really, with not much water!


Above is a more shallow planter, below is a planter that I put some seedlings into. While I have often been told that rhubarb cannot grow here, it needs to much shade, I stuck a rhubarb plant int he end, in the hopes that the pesky shade that caused trouble with the cucumbers last summer would help the rhubarb thrive. We shall see. Also, there are some cauliflower seedlings. With the love my crew seems to have for potatoes, I look forward to trying some substitute recipes!


I am starting to see little seedlings pop up as well, so we will see how it goes.  Hopefully, well!

We are getting better at the sprouting, though I am having trouble with the proper measurement guesses.  For those of you who also sprout, how deep of a layer do you use in your trays?


So, yesterday, I stopped to visit with the vampires. Okay, not really. Just the American Red Cross blood donation folks. The pint was done in under 7 minutes, and I was feeling pretty full of my abilities, so we ran a couple errands, and got home to try a couple new recipes.


I tried a new soup recipe- a tomato herb cream.  I thought it was rather good. Apparently I am the only one, but I suppose that means a few meals in these two jars, right?


Well, about the time I got dinner almost made, I got woozy. Guess I shouldn't have popped right up and tried to take on the world.  So I ended up in bed, got up for a couple minutes, and then ended back up in bed for the night.  This morning, I taught class, and did some cardio, and when we got home, the kids worked on schoolwork, and I packed up all the Christmas decorations. 

It is always sad, packing away the decorations, but it is nice to get things cleaned up and ready to go for another year.

Also going on today? I prepped the incubator for lock down, disposed of the eggs that weren't going anywhere, and got rid of the turner sections where I could. As I was doing it, I realized that one of them was pipping! It is a day early, but that one threw off a couple chunks of egg and now seems to be resting, so maybe it won't be early after all. I cannot wait to see what we will get!

No comments:

Post a Comment