Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sprouting Project, Side by Side Barley and Sunflower comparison part 2

The last I share photos on this topic was Thursday. For those of us working to learn all that we can about being able to afford to feed our livestock and produce food organically, with out soy, corn or gmos, the more we see of the process, the better.

Therefore, I am taking nightly photos of the identical bins that I started together, two of sunflower, tow of barley. The photos in the last edition of this series were from Thursday, so here is what has happened since...

On Friday night, there were clean thick short sprouts on the Sunflowers. While not much more than the day before, more of the seeds had the sprouts.


Also on Friday, lots of the thin shoots sprouting off the barley were filling in, up to and even over an inch in height. Lots of filling in to do, though!


On Saturday, the little sprouts were curling around the sunflower seeds.  Rather cute, really, but not much in terms of getting feed ready!  I have limited space, the longer the fodder takes, the more fodder containers I need in the setup.


The Barley is filling in, and was standing tall over an inch in height.


This was a few hours ago, with the sprouts beginning to stand up in the sunflower bins, more grasses filling in and height growing in the barley bins.


These are the four bins stacked together. I wish I knew the proper recipe for how thick to make the seeds in each fodder tray, but since I have not found that anywhere,  I am still experimenting! (If you happen to know, please share so we can all learn!)


Well, I am learning as I go, but certainly improving.  All knowledge is welcome, the more we share with others, the better we all do, and the more we learn from one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment