Friday, January 3, 2014

More with the Sprouting Project...part 6/7...

Hello, all! Remember that part where I said that the chickens would get their first round of sunflower sprouts on the first of January? Well, today is the third. In the end, I ended up in bed hurt on Wednesday afternoon, and Wyatt didn't take the sprouts out without me, instead gave out some yummy treats and topped off the food.  I snapped these photos as bit later, as I was working on expanding the system. There is also now another stack of larger boxes, we will see how that works out!


These are the ones I had just started, see the little white sprouts?


This was one of the boxes almost ready to feed, as of Wednesday night...


These are the seeds sprouting int he open topped colander. Notice how the seeds are still visible, but they are getting thicker?


This is the same colander, this afternoon (Friday).  The seeds are now really deep and interspersed with sprouts.


This is the same set of sprouts, but closer up. I tried to get a better view of the sprouts from the side, but at least you can see the grass shoots.


This would be the top of the middle row you saw int he first photo.


And these are the new seeds we started on Wednesday. Some folks are telling me that the sunflower seeds grow slower than some of the other types of seeds when it comes to sprouting and growing them to feed to livestock.  I have barley due to arrive at the coop on Monday, so I will enjoy seeing how they do side by side!


Well, we have agreed that we will feed the sprouts for morning feeding before I head to work tomorrow, since the kids we be home to see how it goes.  I will do my best to share photos! If any of you have tried the sprouting what have you earned, do you have any tips for the rest of us, and have you tried putting the soaked seeds into a "salad bar" type growing situation for feeding in the pen?

No comments:

Post a Comment