Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Good Things...


Positive thoughts, positive posture…

I am trying to get back to more yoga and wellness posts on the good old farm blog.  I was thinking the other day, when I began the latest semester at Pima, about what other new students had found helpful, and how I could employ that in edging this group into their practice.  When I have taught the long classes, those one hour and forty minutes in length, sometimes they tire quickly and get sore. 

I recall one day last fall, I took a longer lead in for the class.  They took time in setting the intent for their practice in savasana, and I asked them to select the good things happening in their lives in the last day or so.  I asked them to focus on them for a moment as they allowed their breath to come naturally.

Funny, we did more work on the floor at the beginning of that class, and still had a good intense set of standing work with asanas, yet it seemed as though the shoulders looked more relaxed to me, as I was checking posture and adjusting the class to the needs of the group. After class, several of them commented to me that they felt it was easier to work with the more advanced postures that day, one girl said it was great, and that focusing on the good in her life seemed to make all the difference in the world in her posture, letting go of her stress.

Reflecting on that class, I have thought about whether the good spirit with which the students approached the class could have made that much difference.  To be honest, when we are more positive, we do tend to stand taller.  This cn allow the rib cage to more fully receive the breath.  Also, standing taller improves balance, as the joints are more properly stacked and aligned.

A friend of mine keeps the most insightful and positive quotes on her facebook status quite regularly.  When I see them, it helps me adjust my own attitude and remember my intent in my day.  So, need a great place to start?  Stop and think about the good things in life which you are thankful for.  Focus on those, and allow your spirit to shine through.  Your posture, and you outlook, will likely thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment