Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

I was reading this neat little article in a magazine.  It was about random acts of kindness, and I love those.  Paying it forward always makes me feel good.

The quote from Audrey Hepburn got me going:
"It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second.  This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up."

I always dig it when good folks lead the way in this world!  Glitz and glamour never did preclude basic manners and the need to make the world a better place!  So I sat down at dinner last night, asking the Charlie and the kids about their favorite way to brighten the world around them.  Thought I would share, and then see what other thought.

To be honest, I thought the kids might talk about when they take animals to visit at schools or care homes, or some of the really cool outreach things they have done.  But it was the little things they seemed to like the most, and that came through in answers from them and their father.

Wyatt Clay said he likes to look for people who seem lonely and take time to introduce them around or befriend them- at activities where there are cliques or on the playground at school.  He said smiling and talking to others seems to really brighten their day and make them feel better.  What stands out to me about this one is that he is very introverted and doesn't worry about popularity or hanging out with kids outside of school.  His best friend has always been his dog.  I don't know what all that means, but I find it rather interesting.  He also mentioned holding open doors, and when he sees moms at the farmers market struggling with stuff and offers to carry stuff to heir cars.

Bailey says it always brings a smile to folks when she holds open doors, and carries things, not expecting to be waited on.  With all of her leadership background, I thought she would say something about  the cool things they do for outreach and community service.  But she kept coming back to the little things, like picking up garbage and looking after others.

Charlie loves those Hunter Who Care cleanups.  Local hunters go out into the desert and pick up garbage, getting the mounds of water bottles and backpacks and garbage out of the desert so the wildlife can live and pollution can be a little less.  But he also said his favorite things are when he holds open doors and stops for stranded motorists.

As I sit here, I don't really know what my favorites are.  Growing up, I loved making May baskets from paper or strawberry baskets, and leaving them on the neighbor's doorsteps, or taking cookies to new neighbors.  I have had the opportunity to do many different things with the children, and I admit I like those better than the over sized things that can sometimes feel a bit contrived.

Back at county fair these two boys from another club happily stood with my son and helped him carry his birds through auction, pumping their fists for him as the price topped previous records.  The were so good with my much younger boy who was going through his first auction and learning the ropes.  Seems like nothing, but plenty of others could not have been bothered to help someone else.  And they did so with a smile, and an open heart.

So sure, I like feeding other people's parking meters downtown, and taking cookies to folks to cheer them up.  And I like big days of taking animals to visit shut ins, and teaching young children about animals or fitness.  But the little things really do give me hope in the world, that maybe the golden rule is still alive and well.  Guess I learned something in the typing.  Now it's your turn!  Share your favorite way (or ways) to pay it forward, and what matters to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment