Saturday, August 11, 2012

Today was an adventure... little too much adventure!

This morning I left for town with my car filled with empty animal crates.  I met up with a friend and we went to Phoenix on a mission.  Another poultry  family had been told they had to get rid of their chickens.  Crazy, huh?  But she had breeds we had been looking for, and they needed good homes, so...
Here is the car as we were loading up birds.  Not only did we fill the two medium crates and two little crates that I had brought, but also the spare medium crate I brought, one large and three small crates she had brought!  And did I mention that she also had a box full of tiny babies in her lap?

So I brought home seven brahmas, two little seramas, a couple silkies, and some cochins!

Wyatt had gotten attached to another child's serama during a poultry meeting last year.  He thought the hen was so sweet, he wanted to watch for one.  But they are rare, and not even admitted tot he standard yet, and very hard to get!  Today he got two little frizzled ones.  We didn't even get away from the school before he had a little one in his hands getting to know her.

Bailey, on the other hand, had seen the post about the cochins, and knowing that she needed a couple new showmanship birds, had asked me to bring a few home.  I feel very confident that all of the little ones I brought back, from the two fully grown ones to the several little ones- are hens.  So I didn't mind bringing more than we needed, as if other 4H youth need them, we can sell them just what they want/ need, or keep them.  Bailey had this little one snuggled in her had, with its head nestled in for a nap before we ever got a mile from school.

More of the same...

These little ones really are sweet!

The little serama says "Hi!"

A frizzled one!

We got them all home, and they all are in quarantine for a bit.  The little ones are in a large trough on the safety of the back porch.  Two silkies, two older cochins, the two little seramas, and the several little cochins.

They split into two groups in there, and settled in for bed!

Funny thing, the seramas separated into one in each of the groups!

The cochins took one group, the silkies took the other!

Well, the brahmas are doing fine in a holding pen, but they all huddled into a little house and didn't want to be social with my camera!  Perhaps I can get a photo of them tomorrow!

In the meantime, I hope the previous family can take a little solace knowing the birds will be well loved and cared for.  We feel strongly about the role of livestock and gardens in the sustainability of our food supply.  We understand they are not for everyone, though, or every neighborhood.  Thankfully, our neighbors seem to like them, and have been very supportive of all the kids have been learning in the process.

Hope you all have a great night!  Right now, I am just TOO TIRED to tell about the really adventurous part, but I will tomorrow!  Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment