Saturday, August 18, 2012

Friday Chore Day

I don't know about the rest of the mamas out there, but the beginning of the school year has me feeling stressed out from the need to do things at home while the kids are needing to be in town at school and at activities and appointments.
Friday, I took the kids to school, ran a couple errands, did a little cardio, dropped some things off at the post office and work, and came home to try to get things done!  Of course, when I got home, the rain began, so I started with laundry!

Above are some of the little young chickens that came home from Phoenix.  They like to cuddle up together.

Above and below are photos of that young roo we have been watching.  He needs to hurry up and pick which color he will be before Labor Day weekend.  Looks like the gene expression has come down to two possibilities.  Funny how the lighter color comes in later.

I needed to tie in the barrier between the bucks and does along their fence.  They manage to loosen it from time to time. I was in the buck pen, and the boys always want attention.  Silly Huey was looking a little redneck.  Despite being an old buck, he is a happy healthy old man.

This little hen hatched this year was wandering around while I was in the garden.  She is beginning to really fill out nicely.

Looks like she decided to stop and pose for me!

Feeding time meant more ear scratching for the bucks.  Charlie picked up the kids so I could work at home. That meant Bailey had to stay at practice with them, so I fed for the kids.

Glory was over in the doe pen wagging her tail for the boys' benefit.  Good grief, that girl!  I told Bailey she was in heat and watch out.  She tends to follow Bailey around biting her when she is in heat, demanding to be bred.  Goofy goat!

Still in the buck pen, the Australorps decided to get a drink.  They have adopted the bucks, and even sleep with them.  Here, they were perched on the water buckets, drinking their water.

Then they decided to share their dinner.  The boys are awfully tolerant of thees little ones!

I raked up the mess the chickens made of the dump cart waiting for Charlie to be home long enough to take it out.  Above me, Muffy was getting ready to settle in for the night.  I decided I had best get more done in the garden before my daylight was gone!

The monsoon sky makes for AMAZING sunsets!  Okay, back to watering hte greenhouse and working on the garden!

Shadow cannot be left alone with the chickens yet.  So she was in the garden keeping me company.  I was ready to put two trees in the garden, and found that the holes where I wanted the trees, since we don't till there, was really hard.  The pitchfork and the water will be coming out today.  I was losing my daylight quickly, and Shadow began taking turns digging with me, wanting to help!

This morning, I got this shot of the monsoon rain gauge from yesterday- 0.15 inches.  Not much, but the rain barrels were full, so cannnot really complain.

The last thing I did outside last night was move this Jasmine plant from the garden to the porch.  Here's to hoping I can do enough to protect the plant fro the chickens who have taken to nesting in these pots!

Well, it is Saturday morning, and time to go teach Step and Yoga.  Hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment