Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mamas and Babies

Bailey was helping me change out waters and fill feed with the little ones that came home yesterday, and the cochins jumped into her arms.  She is working on naming them, feel free to post your suggestions in the comments!
I wandered down to the garden shed.  There is a mama in there that has been sitting on eggs quite a while.  Her friend hatched hers, and the last couple days, she has been looking at them a good bit, trying to decide (I think) whether they were good or duds.  But she was sitting and not giving up.

Here is her friend and the little week old little one she is raising.  They have been touring the yard pretty well!  I thought it was going ot be a really light one, but it looks to be darker than I originally thought, now that it is feathering out.

Because I have all of those birds in quarantine from coming home to use today, we cannot use the eggs.  So, in the end, after trying to look and see whether the Brahmas would sit on theirs, I gave the two from the brahmas to the little mama.  Of course, she tried to bite me.  But she looked long and hard at the eggs.

Then she watched me, and nudged her beak out to slide the first one under her.

She took great care to put it in just the right place.

Then I broke out the video!
Mamas are mamas, and we love all babies.  This mama is no different!


No comments:

Post a Comment