Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Adorable Baby Quail- in the Lavender!

When we returned home from county fair,  I found that a very dedicated quail had chosen to make her nest and hatch her babies in the Lavender plant on the back porch. 
Unfortunately, this is the last of the Lavender plants, and we use the buds and flowers in our soaps and lotion bars. I didn't really know how to move the Nest without something going wrong and we still have a good amount of Lavender left from last season,  so I decided to try to just keep the plant alive around her and her nest. 
A couple of times along the way, I accidentally doused them with water, so we weren't even sure any of the eggs were even viable. 

I began watering just the base beneath the plant repeatedly during the course of each day, just trying to give the plant and the little fledgling family both a fighting chance. 

Today, as I began my watering, I heard noise from the plant. I knew that there were Silkie chicks hatching just inside the house, but I looked anyway.



Look at the sweet little faces! And the eggs are just so tiny! 


The mama had not been back this afternoon, so I am a bit worried, but since she persevered through the watering, I have a feeling when I get home and peek she will have them all tucked away up underneath her for the night! 


One of the great parts of spring, though now I have to keep them from eating the container garden! Also, does anyone else think they look like tiny Ameracaunas?

No comments:

Post a Comment