Thursday, September 20, 2012

Once in a lifetime!

Okay, I admit it.  Never actually tried to hide it, in all honesty.  I am an airplane junkie.  I love paper airplanes, jets, and cool biplanes that do funny loops at the airshows.  My dad and I even took flying lessons together when I was in High School, I learned to fly an airplane before I learned to drive a car.
When we were looking at colleges for my sister in Florida, we went to Cape Canaveral.  The tour was outstanding.  Space shuttles AND bald eagles!

Wyatt and I re-watch every launch on the NASA website, and we are both rather depressed about the end of the shuttle program.  It was such an amazing push for American innovation and ingenuity.  Kids in the pool would pretend that they were training for space walks underwater.

And today, the Endeavor flew over Tucson on its way to display in California after formal decommissioning. I stood outside of work, waiting for the 747 with the shuttle on top to fly by, since Mark Kelly had requested the flyover.

I even got a little video.  But now I am actually pretty sad.  The end of an era.  For now, I will remind myself of what an amazing once in a lifetime these photos represent.  And that here, as it was flying away - that as I was filming this it was flying over Wyatt's class int he schoolyard cheering it on.  Because, to be true, their generation will have to pick this one up and see where we go next- to the moon, to Mars, and beyond...




No comments:

Post a Comment