Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kicking the week off with some science...

Sorry, I have been a bit out of touch. It has been a crazy week thus far, ups and downs and ins and outs. So I thought I would share a very messy table with you. Actually, it is one of those things I never expected. We did a tarantula unit in science on Tuesday. Bailey worked Monday, so with Tuesday on all these other things,we didn't quite finish our Tarantula unit yet.  But we will get back to it after we play catch up on the chores today.
So, step one was drawing all the parts and the whole tarantula, observing, etc. I notice they decided to use my water bottle for circles- did they have to share it by sitting it next to the jar with the arachnid? 


They consulted books and compared information, and enjoyed colored pencils and tried to see what the other forgot or missed. I hope to finish this unit soon, though a Facebook friend told me we should feed and keep it until it sheds its exoskeleton. Ugh, if it does okay living on the back porch, we shall see...


Wyatt did set up an experiment with dye afterward, with different concentrations and total liquid amounts, to see how far the color would travel.  He also practiced looking at experimental error with pooling as opposed to travelling. He broke it all down with me last night, and did the measurements. We will work on the math and a new style of reporting later today. too.


Yup, I have been at it with the sunset photos again!


These two were on the way back from the market.


This one didn't look nearly as pretty as the scene, but I thought it would be fun to see how much you really can see from the house itself.


We were out late Tuesday night to watch the tail end of the meteor shower.  We each picked a constellation to teach. I went with the dippers so they could not go easy=). Wyatt taught Perseus was appropriate for the Perseid shower, and so Bailey taught Cassiopeia.


It still really feels like time gets away from us too quickly,and we don't truly have a schedule down yet. But then, there are only two weeks left until the blue star museum pass runs out, so we are going to try to get using that privilege!

Well, lots to do, and lots more to catch you all up on later today when I get a chance.  Got favorite posts? Let me know. Got things you think I should share or explain? Want to be a guest blogger? I love hearing from you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment