Friday, August 9, 2013

Container Garden Thieves of Personal Space

So, if I were this tomato plant, I would be wondering where the respect for my personal space.  I have watched this summer as honeydew, cantaloupe, cucumber and zucchini vined their way into other pots.  I untangled the regularly, relocated some plants to large planters, and kept trying. And when I unwound them, they were frequently found back in a similar fashion after the next rain.


You can click on these photos to enlarge, if you like, and see the large leaves winding up the cage of the tomato plant.  And if you look closer, you will see the honeydew fruit hanging off the front.  And to answer the question, yes, it keeps pulling the cage over. Fortunately the tomato plant is holding its own anyway!


I wonder if the tomato plant somehow wants to tell the honeydew, "Hey you have plenty of sunlight and vertical space right next door. Why do you feel the need to mess with me?" For now, I guess all that is left is to see how long the cage can sustain the fruit, and not sacrifice the tomato plant or the crop yield. I will try to share a photo as it gets bigger, if I can/ Have yours done this?

No comments:

Post a Comment