Thursday, July 25, 2013

Advice Please, in Tomatoes and Melons...

Good morning, world! So these are some issues in the food production I have been dealing with, and I am hoping for input from my fellow growers out there!
This first one is a funny one. I have been moving some plants around, especially some honeydew, cantaloupe and cucumber vines I started without enough expansion space. I put in a new tomato plant to replace one that didn't survive some intense heat (more on that int a bit) and literally overnight, the cantaloupe plant that I had laid in circles on a shelf wrapped itself around the plants and wrapped the little search vines around the stalk, not even the cage(I didn't have a cage for it yet)! Oops. Any ideas for getting it unwrapped tonight so I can replant it?

These are two of five yellow pear tomatoes that suddenly died during the lengthy period over 11 degrees. I was so excited to work with this heritage organic non-gmo variety this year, and the plants were doing well, producing beautifully and watered consistently.  Is this merely a less heat tolerant variety that I will need to use as an early season variety only? Has anyone else tried this one?


On to my next oops. I have this shallow box that I turned into a planter. I know there are some pack rats we are trying to deal with, so I figured I would cover with expanded metal, and keep lifting the metal to keep the lants underneath. Then one day we had a really good gully-washer, and the dirt rather moved to one side of the planter. A pack rat got up and ate the pumpkin seedlings in the other end of the planter, and overnight the plant grew through the expanded metal and when I try to pull it back through, I accidentally break off stems to thick or the like. If I give in and break some of them off, with the remainder of the plant survive, and does anyone know if there is a certain size where these don't seem to be lost to the little varmints anymore? I think I already know the answerm here, it looks like I will be welding a cage that functions as a box over and gives the plants more room, but a girl can hope, right?




This is the honeydew I have in a much deeper planter.  It really likes to attach itself to the expanded metal above, regardless of the depth. Will breaking the little vines cause trouble? I can't say that I have done this in other tha my garden before, and while I was dealing with the traditional garden out of commission, I thought I would try the boxes, and it has some strange side-effects!


Anyhow, I sure appreciate your thoughts on this increase in my container gardening . I miss having the regular garden! But it is back now, and I will keep getting things squared away, but container gardening is a great choice for water use!  So thank you in advance for your advice and input on this balance. Feel free to comment on the blog or the fb post, whichever is better for you. I sure hope anything learned can be helpful to other folks out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment