Thursday, October 24, 2013

My (Not So) Secret Project is Done (Almost...)

Some of you have been hearing about my big sewing experimental project.  And it is done, well almost, anyway!
You see, a while back, I won a hen purse. It was REALLY cool! A rubber chicken for a purse was undeniably cool and cute, but I was stuffing way too much stuff into it, and it was falling apart. I may well still glue it back together and use it for my things I carry when I teach aerobics, but its days as a purse were worse than numbered.
I found myself sitting at the Cottonwood goat show, thinking up how to make a new one. I settled on cutting apart a kids' play ball to turn into a pattern, and figured out the head and the like. So one day, we stopped and found a ball, and randomly stopped to look at fabric remnants on the way home from town.  I found this cool furry fabric that looked like it might pass for an Ameracauna, though Wyatt says it feels more like a Silkie.
Schedules and life being what they always will be, a project for me kept falling to the back burner. But then I finally got rolling, and kept plugging away working on my goal: a cute soft purse that resembled a chicken, but would have dividing pockets to manage my stuff and long enough straps to go over my shoulder or my arm, still cute enough to go most anywhere.
Here it is!
I put the last strap on before leaving for work this morning.


Nope, it isn't perfect, but it is fun! And I did learn lots along the way, even breaking two needles on the sewing machine- the first two ever int he eighteen years I have had the machine!  So what still remains? I cannot figure out what I want to use to make the eyes, and I am debating doing something to help the head stay up a bit better.


Here it is, with all my stuff in it. I shouldn't say it, but there is room to spare!


And, when I designed the pockets, I even got in a pocket for my water bottle and can easily attach my keys and sunglasses. There is a pocket for all my needs (until I decide I need more anyway.)


So, since I had been promising to hare my fun project, here it is!!!!  Have you tried anything like it?  How did it come out? My next project will be a goat!

1 comment:

  1. I gave up sewing in seventh grade when the tee shirt I sewed would not fit over the top of my head. LOL!

    Thanks for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://wwww.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete