Sunday, September 22, 2013

Citizenship for the Future

By now, you all know me and my oorah posts.  Well, here is another one.

Citizenship isn't something you do for class credit, or because you know people are looking, or even because it benefits someone who matters to you. It is doing the right thing, without being asked or told to, when needed, often with some or great inconvenience, because it is simply the right thing to do.

The other day, I heard about a little girl who stood up to a bully on a bus. What is right is right, what is wrong is wrong.  While I fully concede that life is not nearly that black and white, how we treat people, the intent and spirit of the treatment and interaction matters greatly.


So we decided that it was time to establish an award. I spoke with the little girl's Dad, who told me that she loved pink and purple, so the hair ties below were designed just for her. I made a couple extra because I liked the design so well, and those will go into the merchandise available, but the two below went in a box with a note to the little girl thanking her for being the kind of person who makes the world a better place, and one to the little girl's mama. As a parent of a child who was bullied, those actions matter.

I know folks often read me quoting Gandhi, and "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." I am also in a position to recognize those who stand up to be that change, and I hope that somehow that helps the positive worldview contagious.


So here is the deal. Know someone we should recognize? Shoot me an email or message. Tell me about it, and we will figure out the best way to recognize them, be it award, or helping them in their endeavors to make the world a better place, or whatever is appropriate to the specific case. 

For tonight, great job to those parents, and to that very strong young lady.  All the best to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment