Saturday, May 18, 2013

New to Me...to Us...

When my grandmother wanted my mother and aunt to learn to play piano, and my grandfather was away in Korea, she bought a piano.  My mother still tells the story of when he can home and they fought over how much she paid for it.  Funny, since my mother still only plays by ear!

Okay, sorry Mom, bet that story didn't come out quite so well!  My parents bought a beautiful piano for me to learn on.  They still have it.  And to be honest, my children had hoped and hoped to learn on the one my grandmother had bought.  But, for all the trying, it just couldn't make it out here from the Midwest.

Bailey and Wyatt both want to learn piano and guitar.  Now that we are moving to homeschooling, and giving up the brutal and time draining drive to town for their daily schooling, I started watching that good old invention of the internet- craigslist.  This week, I returned emails on two free pianos.  I was just a hair late on the first one.  Then, today, I managed to be the first to get in touch with the folks, and they were only about eight miles down the road from us!

Then came convincing Charlie, when there was still a trailer full of lumber hooked up to the truck.

Well, the kids clearly won out, because we dropped chores for a little while and loaded up into the hot truck and found our way down to the address.  A lot of lifting and moving things and deciding later, here it is, in the boundary between the dining and living rooms.

Wyatt says that with the nick knacks on it, it looks like it has been here a while.  It is worn and imperfect, but new to us, and will be perfect for the kids to learn on.  If we care for it, it will be fine here for years to come. Will old man Vegas and Dad survive two children learning to play and mama trying to remember?  We hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment