Friday, March 22, 2013

The Up-cycled Coop- Part Three

OK, so I was home sick today, which meant that as slow as I was, Wyatt and I got back to work on our up-cycled chicken  coop project.  I have to admit, I have no idea what the black metal is in the foreground, I will have to go outside and look at it tomorrow.  But anyway, we got the back on it yesterday.  Wyatt wasn't sure about just using chicken wire between these coops and the bantam pen, but we agreed about the need for natural light! (We have some interesting debates at our little farm.)


The first we did today was get the windows on in between and on the West side.  The debate on this one was that we were of greater concern here about something pushing in on the windows that something peeling the window off, so we mounted them from the outside.
 

Here is Wyatt cutting the metal mesh for the windows, square by square...


The next step was putting in the bases for the nesting boxes (Wyatt has a special design for these we haven't finished yet), the roosting poles, and then start on the front doors...




If you look closely in the photo above, you can see the porcelain d'Uccle checking out the pen.  I wonder if he has any idea he will be moving into these digs!


Wyatt and I pieced the first door together, and set up the first part of the second.  I was coughing a lot and really tired, so Charlie finished off several screw for us.  At one point, the safety glasses kept sliding down my nose, prompting Wyatt to begin calling me granny...


I am actually pretty happy with the first door.  It isn't perfect, but for an up-cycled coop with all leftover and reused materials, it is looking pretty stylish!  Wyatt was saying he has a painting plan for it, too...


We started work on the hinges for that door, but by that time it was dark enough that I wasn't getting hte screws straight.  Since I had already had an issue with my hand and the drill today, we decided to call it a night and finish up after I am off work tomorrow. 


I will share more photos and the move in as it happens!  Hope you all are having a great night, and that all of you and your animals are safe, and happy!  All the best to you!  Please share your comments, ideas, and your coops photos with us!  We would love to share them here or on the Facebook page!

Hugs to all,
the Patriot's Dream Farm gang

No comments:

Post a Comment