Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Heaven is in the Eye of the Beholder

This may seem like a strange title- and to be quite honest- it is.  But read along, then tell me what you think.

I pulled over a couple weeks ago to take these photos along the side of the road on the way home from the farmers market in Marana, looking West as the sun set behind the mountains of the Tohono O'odham Reservation, casting the last glowing light of day across a farmer's fields.


Then this afternoon, I turned off of the highway coming from town to the farmer's market at the Marana Healthcare center where I can be found most Tuesday afternoons, I saw a large sign in a farmer's field near the highway.  At first, I saw the word heaven on the sign, and thought it must be referring to a conversion to organics, until I turned straight on the road and got a good look at the sign out of the corner of my eye.


Across the top, the sign said, "We're moving earth to bring you heaven."
And at the bottom: The shops at Tangerine.  Tangerine being the road that intersects the freeway there.  While I would love to see smaller, organic farms infilled with the communities they serve replace the large factory farms, I definitely DO NOT want more shopping malls at every highway off ramp.  Not that anyone asked me, but it makes me even more determined to move forward with the sustainable farming project!

Well, I hope we will all do our best to support our local small farmers and keep our food system more secure.  If you are growing and contributing to the local farmers market, we salute you, and hope you will continue to do so!  All the best to all of you, and here's to hoping those new shops will feature local goods at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment