Monday, March 18, 2013

The Leprechauns Take the TCC

Many of you know that I have been struggling to feel caught up again, with issue after issue running me in circles, and trying to make a break from caffeine, all while returning to running again through the flare up of my hamstring injury and transitioning Bailey to homeschooling, and keep a straight face as my younger child begs to switch over to homeschooling. (We have mandated that if there is not a drastic reason, we are not making that kind of a change this late in the school year.)  It was that big a deal with Bailey, but Wyatt needs to finish the year out.

So on top of the crazy already present, the run up to county fair, and work and the little farm, I haven't felt on track.  I spent a whole week at Bailey's school trying to get through the transition, after four weeks trying to muscle through only half of the meetings.  Needless to say, I have A LOT to catch up on.  Still, that isn't slowing the growth of this years hatch, it doesn't stall the goings on in the incubator, or the spring planting, blogging, teaching, or the personal goals I set for myself this year.  Honestly, I sound like every other mama on the planet, right?

So this last week, I oopsed.  Not a little oops.  Not an unmanageable one, but an oops, none the less.  After turning their science fair projects in to the regional science fair they had advanced to, I looked at the website for the schedule.  Bailey had interviews the following day, Wyatt would not need to stand for interviews until next year.  They were feeling the need to work on school work and animals, so opted out of young innovators' night, and I read the site to say that we needed to pick up their posters Sunday morning between 8 and 12, or they would be recycled.  Wednesday night, I checked and learned that neither of them had advanced further in competition, and told the kids we could go by on Sunday to pick up the posters.  Wyatt is planning his to double over for county fair.  (The project is he same, and I am big on not wasting!)

So yesterday, Bailey and I drove almost right near there while running errands and heading to work out.  Last night, I saw an email that concerned me, so I rechecked the site.  OOPS. We were supposed to get them Saturday.  Uh. oh.

Then this morning, the three of us piled into the car on the way to town, and headed off early to hopefully see if there was any way to get them.

We found the convention hall deserted.  But there was an open door.  So we figured someone, security at least, was in there.

The three of us, dressed in green for the St Pat's Day, headed into the convention center.  The kids were whispering, and silly.  I was calling down corridors, looking for anyone who worked there.  We got to the windows above the hall where the fair had been set up, and still saw piles of boards.  So they weren't all gone- yet.  We knocked on office doors, went up and down stairs and quiet escalators, and looked for security.  There was a truck and a golf cart besides our car, so someone must be there, right?  We decided we were leprechauns on the loose in the convention center!

Just as we were beginning to wonder if we could find anyone, we saw someone.  We asked if he worked there, and he was clearly surprised that we were in there.  We told him about the open door (he called security) and we told him of our mistake.  He showed us down to the hall and let us look through the remaining piles.  Bailey found hers rather quickly.  The man mentioned that he had found hers quite interesting, having looked at it previously while they were set up.  Then just as I was thinking Wyatt's was already gone, I looked in one stack a second time, and saw the telltale camo he had covered his board in.  YAY!

So, all is well.  We printed out the photos Wyatt needed for his dog project poster, but didn't have to reprint the poultry ones.  I am off the hook for the oops, and we have our silly story of clandestine leprechaun operations.  And we know there are still very sweet folks out there, willing to be understanding and take a few extra minutes out of their day to help a couple kids and a mom.

Did you have any fun, GREEN adventures today???

No comments:

Post a Comment