Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Couple of Little Steps in the Right Direction

Still plugging away around here! Forgive the very long post, but evenings are tiring!  I am going to try to get things all caught up...
Thursday morning, I went to teach a strength training class, then got on the elliptical for a while.  Feet are still pretty slow and fussy, but hoping to keep making a dent in it all.


I finished sealing the farmstand sign, and talked with Charlie about where to put it.  Hope to have it up shortly.  Then I worked on putting up this shelf on the back porch, so the plants can all get good light now that the tomatoes are growing so well.  A little worried about the lavender in the middle, though, it doesn't seem to be draining well, but would like it to dry out a bit before I re-pot if possible.


Wyatt's pretty excited to see the pichu plant flowering now. The littler  plant is finally growing now that it is established in another pot away from the big one.  I sure hope that leads to a good yield!


For the most part, the tomatoes are doing beautifully.  We have had several meals off the plants so far, though a couple of the plants aren't thriving as well as others.  


The pomegranate tree has lots of fruit coming along, if they all make it as the appear so far, there will be lots of these available!  But the birds do tend to be good at sneaking into the crop there!


The smaller pichu plant seems to finally be coming along now that it is not living in the shadow of the large one.  Funny how that works, isn't it?


The honeydew I planted will have to be separated to more places.  Hope Wyatt's REALLY likes his honeydew...


These are the cantaloupe... should be interesting to see what the yield is from each!


The two little tomatoes in the middle are a concern. I ended up switching them with the lavender I was worried about, but the lavender seemed to dry out overnight.  Balancing things out in 108 degree heat is such a challenge!


These tomatoes are the same variety and age as the ones I was worried about, but are on the North side of the porch instead of the East, hence my feeling about switching them with the struggling lavender.


Bailey and I worked on a homemade calorimeter experiment for Chemistry.  It was fun, and everyone got into it, especially with all of the foods we were working with!  Gonna play with density a bit tomorrow.


After spending much of Sunday in bed sick, Wyatt cleaned two pens and did his first home school science lesson today.  He was supposed to have had Earth science in 5th grade, but the class only completed a small portion of the chapters, and half of them in the last quarter of the year when he was sick so much.  So I figure we need to work through some Earth science before the biology for next year, and today was the first lesson.  He did his first science blog post, and this earned him the movie he was wanting to see.  He so loved War Horse the book, and even the sequel book, Farm Boy, even though he was frustrated that so details were inconsistent.  After seeing the movie, he may begin a book review/ movie review blog.  We shall see. But he did select the lesson/ experiment for tomorrow, we are alternating which of us teaches ( hee hee, sneaky Mama). 


I got a little of the structural work I needed to done on the big pen today, then promptly came up against a wall in a pen project to keep the goat waters cool that I was working on with Bailey.  The pumpkins and honeydew that I started in the new planter last week have begun to sprout as of this afternoon, too.  You win some, you lose a lot, right?  I am trying to learn to be thankful for every little step in the right direction, especially after the way the last year or so has been.  I know the injuries and ups and downs are a part of life, and I plan to keep getting up and trying again.  

Today's five miles after step class went better than the ones on Friday, so maybe I can try running a little tomorrow, especially if I can get in early enough to run before I teach yoga.  Well, time to give thanks for another day, and each achievement, and head for bed before tomorrow begins.  

Love to all.
me


No comments:

Post a Comment