Thursday, May 10, 2012

A little bit redneck...

"Haboob Hits Tucson"  was the headline of my breaking news email yesterday afternoon.  Gee, ya think?  I had come out of my midday exam, and been hit squarely with an approaching wall of dust.  Normal this time of year for us Tucson folks, though very destructive and impossible to drive through.  Up past the Marana cotton fields, the storms are legendary for pileups as bad as the California grapevine area.  So I guess the sight at home should have come as no surprise.

Charlie picked up the kids for me, as I have a hard time getting out of work on time at the beginning and end of the semester.  Lots of little issues to handle.  So I got home and went out to do chores with the kids, only to find that not only were both greenhouse doors all twisted and missing chunks, but one of the side panels a hole in it over four feet ling and almost two feet wide..

The hole in the side panel- there weren't even any pieces to try to tape back together.  The items which had been on the shelf next to the side panel window had fallen in, onto the greenhouse floor, suggesting that whatever had gone through the panel had been a projectile coming from the outside.

By some strange miracle, the chickens had decided to leave the mess alone and not devour the vegetables and plants inside.  Maybe they thought if they got caught in the greenhouse they are always run off from, that they would be blamed for the mess.

Repairing the greenhouse will require parts, once I have to order in.  The doors, to be honest, this wasn't the first issue there, the high winds this winter have been quite tough.on them.  But I hadn't had a chance yet to call and order the parts, so I suppose now the list is linger.

In the mean time, out came the packing tape.  The right side door is now so bad it is propped closed.  I had previously put milk crates in front of it, but then this week Wyatt had needed some of them for the bantam pen redo.  The panels, we on the doors I had some pieces to tape the windows back together.  On the side panel, however, I just ran tape up and down and created a patch.  It is looking pretty redneck out there!


It wasn't nearly as bad as the tornado that took the one shed, and in the grand scope of life, these are small things.  But it is a little bit redneck- or maybe a lot.  Despite my rather redneck ways, I am not giving in- I love my fresh veggies!  So a little redneck perseverence it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment