Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Following babies...

I love baby time. It is crazy and tiring, staying ahead of hawks and leaving enough little water containers around in just the right places, but they are such fun to watch grow.  I thought I had another photo of the single baby, but I guess not.It has reached the rather spindly stage where they become taller and more awkward.  A bit independent, too, we occasionally have to watch to make sure it remembers where its mama is when I wanders off to eat with other birds.  I snuck into the big pen two days ago, some of those older hens aren't nice to babies, so Wyatt herded it back our to its mama.
These above are the second group of babies.  The mama decided to move them into the hay shed, where she gets angry every time Bailey goes in to get hay and grain for the goats.  She is one the goofy side, but doting on her her babies.  She had her little ones in the buck pen when I first wandered out to check on them all yesterday.  Obediah likes to follow them around, his curiosity high with the little poof balls of silliness.

This group is the newer set of babies, though they don't appear to be much -if any- smaller than the group above.  I believe there are five or six, though more in the light brown coloration as opposed to the darker ones who seem to grow up as Golden Phoenixes.  She is raising her little ones by the tree on the northern end by the old garden.

We still have two to five hen sitting on eggs.  I think the one in the doe barn has some white Ameraucauna eggs from Muffy and one of his girls, though one of his girls is also in a nesting box in the hay shed.  The silver duckwing Ameraucana is in there too, as well as one Phoenix.  They are tag teaming rotating nesting boxes when one goes out to eat or wander.  And then there is the one in the pot on the back porch.  Not sure about her, she seems a bit neurotic to me.  Hopefully that is all in my head, because we will have to move her once her babies hatch.

Well, lots to do!  Better get rolling so we head to town on time,  I need to check in with resource folks and get some grading done before teaching!  Have a great day eveyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment