Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Catch-up Day!

I took this photo leaving the farmer's market last night. Hard to believe that market will only be going through February. We are thinking for the time being, I will put more time into our own farm stand before committing to another market.

The sunsets certainly are beautiful!


While Bailey was at her town class today, I got a few errands run, checked on a friend, and got a little time for cardio! It was only 2.5 miles on the elliptical, but I was so thankful to do it with all the ways I have barely been teaching classes and students and athletes since I got sick a couple weeks back.  Moderate intensity, but consistent, a good step back so soon I can do more!

I knew I had made these and set them aside, but it took me until today to find them to go with another project.  Sometimes I feel certain I could misplace my own head if it weren't attached!  And all because I put things where I think they will be safe and easy to find...


Some of the plant cuttings I had rooting were ready to be transplanted.  These are a couple of them, but also two mint plants and one of the red leafed house plants I have somehow kept going since one of my clients, who was on the Game and Fish board, gave it to me years ago in a glass jar, just a cutting with a beautiful root mass.


These are all new plant cuttings in water for the next batch of mint and house plants to filter the air.  It is hard to see, but there are still a couple jars on the left where I will start some more mint. I have a special experiments I hope to try with the mint in the coming months!


One of the many things that I lost track of when I was sick for a couple weeks in there was the sprouts. We dumped the remains int he compost late last week and let the containers dry.  On Monday, I set the first batch of the containers in to soak.  I finally got them clean early this afternoon, and got the last of them in to soak.  I am still hoping to switch to different trays soon, my friend and I are planning a trade for soap, but she is as busy as I am and on the other side of town, so we ar working with the prototype models for now!


I had started the Barley soaking on Sunday after church, so those went in to three of the cleaned sprouting containers to start.  When we were recently out working on the goat projects, we checked out the sprouting setups of a few of our friends, and Charlene mentioned using a splash of ACV in the first soak to combat the growth of mold in the sprouting system, so we are trying that too, this time. We will let you know how that works for us =).  Have any of you tried that?


These are the next jars of Barley in their first soak.  They will be started Friday night, I hope!  A big thank you to Lynn for the tip of using the plastic needlepoint canvas in the jar rings for straining and keeping unwanted visitors out while soaking.


Also finally got around to candling the egg in the special hatch in the incubator. Unfortunately, the ones we have had in there were infertile, though we have several in there to hatch for ourselves. The six little ones in our brooder- three Brahmas, one Buckeye and two Silkies are doing well.  Wyatt also has new roosters nearing the end of their time in the quarantine pen. They have beautiful plumage on their heads, so we are looking forward to seeing what they bring to the line here. 


These are this yer's strawberry plants- yummy!


And the bright beautiful moon above us tonight had me wondering when the full moon would arrive for this month =)


I had the random idea that in this area along the side of the house, I would like to have additional asparagus patches and lavender. The melons I tried last year didn't work so well, so I figure this might? We shall see. But I needed a more defined space, so I took some scrap wood and made a little planter space for the asparagus starts I brought home today.   I ran out of daylight, so I will do the other little patch tomorrow morning!


I think I mentioned back when we had our first freeze, that despite the really nice frost cover, our pichu plants took it pretty hard. The stalks were still green, so we were letting them limp along and try.  Earlier this week, I was beginning to lose hope. But then, after transplanting the rooted cuttings and making the asparagus patch and beginning the watering...


I found new leaves!  Now I will need to share them on one of the gardening pages, because I really don't know when to cut back a Pichu plant!  Wyatt loves the fruit, so I have several saved to pull the seeds out of, but I really hope the plants we have can make it through the winter. 


The boys also worked on Wyatt's Science Fair project- a cycle powered generator. It is beginning to take shape, but now tomorrow Wyatt needs to try to resurrect an old laptop to try to power with it, and look up answers to some of the questions that are coming up as they work. The paper is also requiring some attention!  Wow, so much to do, but we are plugging along as usual.


Well, I suppose it is time to get the laundry rotated and the dishwasher started, and get some sleep to get on to the next part of the list tomorrow!  Hope you all have a great night!  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment