Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The First Political Buttons

I would first like to say, this is not a post about politics.  Really, it is about cool history.  I love the creavtive ingenuity that comes with the political buttons and the fun sillies.  I loved trading buttons and pins when I got to attend the Olympics in Los Angeles.  On my way between one job and the other this morning, I caught a radio show where they were talking about the fist political buttons.

The first celluloid buttons (like the ones we identify with today- silly phrases and candidates names, etc.) first appeared on the scene in 1896.  They have been known to be down right mean, like one from the democrats when Reagan was up for reelection that stated No Mo Ron, as in no more Ron, but wrote it very clearly as No MORON.  They exist on both sides, no finger pointing, but have been known to be since ong before the current attack ads many of us have come to change channels over.

It might surprise you, but the first buttons were really much different from that.  When General George Washington ran for president, and was elected unanimously, he was known for wearing a certain American-made dark suit, with striking silver buttons.  For the general to have selected an American made garment was important, for sure, and people found their own special way to show their support.  The bought identical buttons to those on his suit, to wear conspicuously to show they were with the general.

The first political campaign button.  Pretty cool, huh?

So, again, I do not do politics on facebook, but I love cool creative stuff, whether it agrees with my political beliefs or not.  If you have a favorite one to share, a funny one, or a cool word puzzle on, go for it, share in the comments.  I will moderate to keep it friendly and fun. 

Have a great night.  Enjoy the debate, if you so choose.  And reardless of who you vote for, I hope you take the time to be informed past the ucky mud throwing, and then vote.

Hugs to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment