Monday, October 8, 2012

Still got it!


Last Friday, Charlie left for the base early.  Shortly after he left, I heard the scream of an angry cat.  I sat straight up, and wondered if it was all in my head.  Shadow got up, and sat at the front screen, alerting on something outside.  I heard the hens begin to fuss.
I went ot get Bailey to help me.  She asked me whether I really trusted Shadow's instincts yet, and what did Vegas think.  Old man Vegas was circling and nodding his head at the back door, as if to say "I'm ready, let's go!  I'm in!"
Bailey went out the front door, and I the back.  We swept the usual suspect area, as the dogs began to fan out around us.  I couldn't see anything, so we began walking pen by pen.  The dogs were combing the West fence.  We talked about where to check next,as the dogs came together at my shed.  They managed to corner a feral cat under my shed.
In the end, it ran off, but Shadow was cute talking Vegas's lead, and Vegas pranced around so proud to prove that at his advanced age- he's still got it.
When I got home from work that night, Vegas met me out front, with tail wagging, bouncing in circles like a younger dog.  By nightfall, he was very stiff and got extra treat with a little extra something.
Funny, with him looking at me from all that grey, but don't  let the grey in his fur or the bushy eyebrows fool you.  He's still got it.  Still on duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment