Sunday, October 30, 2011

Arts and Culture and Happiness

I was reading an article earlier regarding self reported health and happiness which seems to be greater in those who are connected with the arts.  These folks don’t even need to be artists themselves, similar increases in reported levels of happiness occur in those who go to the symphony, galleries, theater or ballet as those who engage in performing or creating the art themselves.

Myself, I really value the connectedness and spiritual lift I get when I work in the workshop or take the time to dance.  My daughter and I were discussing how much gentler and more relaxed my son becomes when he gets to paint and color and enjoy his animals.  She likes to write and draw, and loves her Musical Theatre class at school.

I regularly tell my students that I am a huge proponent of taking one class for you each semester, and do my best to structure time for myself to practice and work on my art.  Growing up, I was a ballerina.  Outside of the dancing I did, the shows and the rest, Dad made the time to take us to the theatre, musicals, Radio City Holiday show, the Nutcracker and more.  It was more than a chance to experience the arts, also a chance to dream and to be a part of the story being right there where it was happening.  I used to take Bailey to the Nutcracker each year.   This year, that tradition needs to return.  Anyone care to join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment