Sunday, July 11, 2010

New Ways to enjoy Scents and Aromatherapy

I was reading today about a new trend: more people are using aromatherapy in the shower. Apparently the average person spends 5 to 10 minutes in the shower, and because they are having a hard time finding time for relaxation anywhere else in their day, they are using fizzing aromatherapy in the shower.

I am not picking on this trend. Bailey has had me make her a eucalyptus version of her sugar scrubs and soaps for years now, which she likes to use when her allergies are bad. Other times her favorites trend to the lavender and fruited scents.

I don't usually need anything special, our lavender soap catches the steam of the shower and opens my eyes and mind each time. There are so many healing properties of lavender, and when all else fails it is also just good for the soul. While out running this morning, I was thinking it was time to bring in the supplies for he holiday scents, the pumpkin, sure, but the big call is for the orange, cinnamon and clove spice essential oil blend I add to soaps and scrubs for fall. It feeds my holiday atmosphere of the mind.

In a time where we in the wellness industry are warning against too many scents because of air pollution, allergies and asthma, I would acknowledge the thought, with a caveat. Know what is in the product you use. Harsh chemicals are not good for anyone. Opt for natural products, where the scents come from essential oils an natural ingredients. If the ingredient list contains a long list of things you cannot pronounce, beware.

If you are sensitive to certain things, work with someone who hand makes the items you want to use to help develop your own version. I recently had a parent want me to work with them to make approved lavender items for their child, with a given list of "no's" from the family physician. Since I can make very small batches, I really enjoyed the challenge, and could take it on as a small, individual artisan. I have also had special requests for products without coconut oil.

Anyhow, if the 5-10 minutes you spend in the shower is the only time you have to relax, and you choose aromatherapy while you are at it, make it a quality experience. Consider one of our soaps, scrubs or other products, or at least make it the good stuff. There is always the aromatherapy that comes from the good quality lotions and balms to get lost in later in the day, too. Share your favorite scents and styles in the comment section for everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment