Friday, December 27, 2013

The Sprouting Project, part 2

For those of you following along with our sprouting project, these are photos of the progress as of tonight.

This first photo is of the top container in the stack of plastic containers with lids.  This is the growth as of tonight. We were out for a hike after work today, so the seeds didn't get a midday watering. They seem to be growing fairly well. I am told that sunflower seeds take longer than some of the other seeds to grow,


This bottom photo is of the seeds which are sitting in the open topped colander. They are still lagging behind those in the prototype system. Like I was mentioning yesterday, this could be because there is a difference in light where these are, or because the domes are keeping things moister or warmer.   While I don't know for sure, and these are unscientific speculations on my part, I think I should consider this if I choose to build a larger system.


I have looked at several systems on the internet lately, from those built encased in plastic to those built on large stands or smaller stands and stands made of pallet wood.  If this project seems to work, I will want to design stands around whatever containers I think will work best to grow the amount of sprouts that will properly supplement the flock nutrition.  

I will take more photos tomorrow!  And luckily, I will be here for three or four waterings!  Have you tried fodder systems to supplement your livestock feed? What were your goals in the project, and what did you learn from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment