Saturday, August 13, 2011

Natural Soap Challenge

Hello Everyone

I have been making handmade, all natural artisanal soap for several years now.  I began because  I wanted to learn, and got more heavily into it because of our elder child's allergies.  I know my skin was getting better and healthier with the care of these better ingredients and nutrients, but subtle changes were easy to ignore.

Over time, Charlie has gotten used to the fancier bars in the shower, and he rather likes the orange creamsicle bar I make, and even the peach cinnamon and holiday mulling spice bars, but lavender is about as feminine as I go in our shower.  I like the coffee soap for sloughing off dead shin and the vanilla and goats milk soaps, as well as the many other seasonal scents I work with.

This past April, when we were packing for Pima County Fair, there was an old bar of store bought soap in the container.  Holding to the example of not being wasteful, I left it there and we took it to fair.  As the fair went on, through the dust and muck and gunk, Bailey and I noticed how our skin felt crackly and I began to break out.  I thought about the soap, but thought I might be oversimplifying things, and thought we would see when we returned home.

On the days I rotated home for farm and work during fair, my skin was noticeable better.  When we returned home and all climbed ino our regular shower, Bailey and I noticed her skin felt better and the hives were less.

This is all anecdotal.  In other words, this is not at all scientific, but our skin markedly improved, however coincidentally, on the homemade soaps.  This led me to the question, "What would other people who use regular soap say if they tried my soap for two weeks?"

So there we have it.  If you are interested in trying our soap for two weeks (though a bar will last you much, longer) it is on me.  What I ask in return, is that you comment on this blog post as to your HONEST opinion and experience with trying the soap.  Interested?  Comment here, email me, or message me through facebook as to what scent you would like, and whether you have any special requests (shea butter, no nut oils, etc)  I make many kinds, and have batches starting tomorrow too, if I am out of the scent you are looking for.  Also let me know the best way to contact you to get the bar to you.  You are perfectly welcome to try your kind and your child, sibling, etc. try a different kind.  I am just really interested in your feedback!

Thanks to all, and I look forward to seeing you feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good challenge. I have noticed a big difference soap makes. I love the pretty fancy soaps that you can get these days, but they don't agree with me at all. I'll have to give your soap a try. For the last few years I have been using Cetaphil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nourishing our skin is much like nourishing our bodies- we have to read labels and look for quality ingredients, not just pretty soaps or nice new scents. Please let me know which you would like to try, I will send it along!

    ReplyDelete