Thursday, June 26, 2014

Friends Do Everything Together- Including Cause Trouble...

It began with the Light Brahma who is on top in this photo. She prefers to hang out in the house. She likes to move the eggs around, sit on them, and sometimes eat them if we don't get to them fast enough.
I have to crawl almost completely inside this house and pick them up to get to the eggs!


On this particular day, I had to pick both of them up. They are friends, as you can tell, and they were trying to work together. They don't bite be, or even pretend to, but when I go for eggs, they whine. A rather high pitched, screechy whine. And as soon as I let one go, she jumps back on top of the other, thwarting my progress toward collecting eggs from this pen. I think they believe they will hatch the eggs themselves, though, they are notorious for having little peck holes in the eggs they are sitting on.


I have tried wooden eggs, and that usually works for about a week, until one of the kids inadvertently collects the wooden egg or they figure it out and leave me the wooden egg at the opening of the house.


These two have become best friends and accomplices, so I check them for eggs several times a day as I go past!


On this particular day, though, I wasn't fast enough. And if they thought they looked innocent when I walked up, here is the evidence: broken egg shell glue by egg goo to her leg feathering.  My son walked past when I was trying to deal with them, and he just said, " Mom, those girls are nuts. YOU are washing that bird!" Such a sweet boy... ehemmmm...


I suppose we all need a best friend- one to have fun with, and cause trouble- or get into trouble- with. Who is yours? And who are the best friend/ accomplices at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment