Monday, June 23, 2014

Adventures in Home Repair- the Ceiling Fan Edition, part one...

Part of the fun of being a military wife is all of the fun things you learn to do on your own. And with your kids. All military wives know the same fun of any wife whose husband travels for work. You know, the cars where the alternator dies and all of the electrical goes out in the fast lane at the top of a hill at rush hour and you pray as you muscle it down the hill with a foot on the brake, hoping the other cars let you over so you can coast into the church parking lot at the bottom of the hill in the scary part of town? (Cue kind father in law to bail you out and bring a mechanic to the rescue... husband had barely crossed the state line when that happened!)

Yeah, that kind of fun. And I must note, my husband's deployments and TDYs, incessant as they were, never took him overseas. He almost did, but then they changed his orders. I know how lucky I am, but I still spend a good bit of time on my own, troubleshooting issues, hiring contractors when needed, and learning LOTS of new skills!

I have long been terrified by electrical work. It is on my list of classes to take, when the time arises (haha), but until then, I will learn a little at a time. Recently, a ceiling fan with a light, originally installed by a contractor (long story) literally fell out of the ceiling. Thankfully, no one was right under it, but it did sustain a couple broken light globes and a bent fan blade arm. 

I did what any goofy girl who no longer trusts contractors but wants it fixed would do...

I took pictures of the parts left behind, and stopped at the local Ace Hardware on the way home. While I really like Lowes for a number of things, when it comes to quirky how tos and random things you only run into in your part of town, the local small hardware store is a good first stop.


So I pulled out my not-so-smart phone and showed him what was left and where I thought it had failed,


which was this bracket you see below.


The man agreed with me that washes might be just the trick to getting the tiny screws to hold in the bracket. Then he explained how to hook up the wiring- white to white, black to black, and add the blue to the black bundle since it had a light on the fan, and leave the green as it was for the ground. That sounded easy enough, so I purchased washers and headed for home. Note to all of you for future reference- the washers actually needed to fit in the bracket- oops- so luckily we have a big stash of washers in the tool shed!


That afternoon, Bailey tried to hold the fan up for me to wire back together. We realized quickly that was just too awkward. So we took a bar stool, and stood it on the counter. We propped the fan on the stool, and the kids tried to help me by passing tools up when needed and making sure I didn't knock the fan down. 


That way, the wiring went pretty easily.


See? All hooked up, with the little things screwed on to hold the wires together properly.


The kids ended up having to help me shove the wired in while positioning the fan rod arm in the bracket. But then the housing went on fairly simply. And the big exciting part- it turned on! 


I decided to wait on getting new globes (and of course trying out the fan) until I figured out how to bend the arm back into place. I am still having trouble with that part. In fact, I stopped and looked at parts while getting paint at the big hardware store over the weekend. Turns out, the guy there thought I should give up and buy a new fan.


I am not ready to give up on it yet, gonna stop at ACE this week and ask about that part, and see if Wyatt can help me try again tonight, too.It is never as simple as it should be, but if we can figure this out, then Wyatt and I are going to put in a new fan switch in his. A little more intense on the electrical, but I found an online how-to, so you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment