Saturday, September 7, 2013

How ya' doing? Oh, swimmingly...

This morning, I checked on the new babies born yesterday. The Cochin mamas had been doing so much better with these two than the one they dropped so far from the nest, that Bailey was tempted to let them stay out there, yet with the current influx of snake incidents, we didn't dare.


I peeked into the brooder to find one of the new ones standing in the water bowl, shivering. Bailey came to help me clean it up and get it dry and warm, so I cleaned the brooders along the way, and we separated the older chicks to the brooder I moved the juvenile Brahmas and d'Uccle from yesterday.

The juveniles, by the way, did well overnight, and were running and playing in the large cage on the back porch.

Once everything was clean and reset, the smallest of the little ones settled in for a nap, with our little fledgling "swimmer" on the far right. At this point, no incubators going, but I hope to get them cleaned later today, and just a few eggs under three very determined Silkie hens and two goofy Cochin hens. Oh, and a little over a month until the first goat babies are due!

No comments:

Post a Comment