Friday, September 27, 2013

Bugs for livestock feed?

Bugs for livestock feed? Could this be the solution? How do you approach the organic question for bugs?

I recently listened to a piece on NPR regarding using bugs for livestock feed. It is funny, because we so often hear about the way other countries use bugs for nutrition, and in fact, some insects are considered delicacies. As a matter of full disclosure, I consider anything with more legs than the dog or fewer legs than the children to be a no go. While I understand that might be short sighted, I fully admit to my irrational fears in these areas. In this particular reporting piece, the discussion was not in solving the world's problems of feeding everyone through serving bugs to people, cooked in a variety of ways and farms on large scale in small areas, but instead the focus was in using the insects as protein source for livestock.

One issue I find myself discussing frequently is the use of genetically modified corn, soy and other crops in livestock feed.  What our livestock animals eat is passed on to us in the food, milk and eggs they provide for us to consume. While some of the studies are admittedly small in sample size, there is documented correlation in the health of the livestock eating GMO feed, and also in the insecticides being passed on through use on the crops fed as feed.

When we were in visiting our (sort-of) local organic pest control place a couple weeks back, Wyatt was thoroughly entertained by the fly traps. Funny how that works. Very excitedly, the representative showed us a different trap she thought we would like. She told us to wait on purchasing it, as she felt certain it would go on sale, but we had to admit- it is pretty neat! The trap itself is a metal screen, formed in a cylinder with a cone on top, that works on the principles of which way flies can actually fly.Essentially, flies fly in looking fro the smeely bait, but get trapped, dry and dehydrate. In the end, what is left is shrunken, dehydrated flies that can be fed tot he chickens as treats. I know, it doesn't sound remotely like a treat to me, but the chickens love them, and they are high protein and nutritious overall.

The insects they are talking about for livestock feed are, in fact, flies.  Pardon my squeamish nature, but they raise flies from larvae throughout the life cycle and use the final end product as an ingredient to provide protein in feed. So yes, all the life phases.

So here is my question... how would that work work with organics?

I set to researching this one. Logically, what they eat should be the output. The only research I found discussed that when fruit flies eat organic fruit, they live longer and reproduce better. So I suppose they could establish breeding stock that, having been fed organically for a certain period of generations, were organic. (Yes, I understand this is an odd train of thought.)  Additionally, some baseline would have to be established in order to prevent genetic modification of the flies, as we know there would be some preference to the "horse" flies or other larger flies. (I am far from any type of expert when it comes to organic, I went to the research realm for this one, because I really feel as though I am missing some of the angles.)

Hmmm...

So, what is your take on this one? Animals don't worry about eating flies like we do. Their mamas don't tell them, "No, no, you don;t know where that has been!" But when our food is the end result, we have to consider all of the pros and cons. What do you believe those pros and cons might be?



No comments:

Post a Comment