Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday Dinner

Heritage chickens are more sustainable for the environment and the food supply, but they can be a little trickier to cook.  Trickier still, in that I am the family vegetarian.  I know that sounds weird, a vegetarian on the chicken farm, but I stopped eating meat back in college, and while I eat eggs and dairy, I have never returned to eating meat.  I am not morally opposed to it (obviously), though I do believe that animals should be raised naturally and with compassion and a good life.  But at the end of the day, that makes the whole cooking meat for my family, all of whom have very different tastes- tricky indeed.

I have been working on getting better with my recipes.  I stuff the cavity full of cut up lemons and spices, and roast it.  Today, I thought I would roast one with some potatoes and eggplant, and stopped on the way home from work for a couple ingredients for later in the week.  Got home and realized there were no more lemons.  Oops.

Well, I went on line and looked around at the recipes from other folks.  So I am trying one that involves lots of savory spices and a extra virgin olive oil rub and drizzle.  So I used those same things on some eggplant and baby red potatoes when I roasted those too.  So we shall see!  Wish me luck so that everyone wants to eat! (And eat the leftovers too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment