Sunday, February 22, 2015

Who's Ready For Summer Camp 2015?

Recently, a friend shared this awesome post and it made me so happy!  I encourage you to read it. http://wellfesto.com/2013/06/13/if-our-daily-lives-were-more-like-summer-camp/
This post is truly relatable to me. I absolutely support and agree with everything stated here. The bonds really do come quickly. The friendships are magic and every one of them is important, from the past to the future. Exercise is better at camp. No one would care how you sound when you sing. Eating as a group is a cool deal. Written letters are treasures. The warmth of the sun is a great feeling. Friendly competition is the most amazing form of competition. Being ourselves is the best thing we can do. Money shouldn’t disrupt the amazing moments. Making stuff in arts and crafts should be enjoyed. The stars in the sky are worth looking at. Warm fuzzies would be a common occurrence, and that would be joyous. Hugs should be given, warm and heartwarming. We’d live out the Raggers Creed.
 But I believe there’s more to it.
  1. We’d get to know one another and trust one another quicker.
  2. We would embrace emotional moments.
  3. We would graciously include new people, new cultures, and new possibilities.
  4. We wouldn’t dress to impress.
  5. We would take each other into consideration at every turn.
  6. We would become comfortable in our personality and quirks.
  7. We would challenge each other to become better.
  8. We would help each other get past our fears.
  9. We would encourage open conversation.
  10. Resolutions to interpersonal issues wouldn’t be drawn out, but quickly and constructively.
  11. We’d show compassion constantly.
  12. We’d encourage and support one another’s choices.
  13. We’d encourage each person to speak up and be leaders.
  14. Appearance wouldn’t matter, but our attitude and intent.
  15. We would enjoy one another’s crazy laughter.
  16. We would compliment others sincerely.
  17. Random dancing wouldn’t be uncomfortable.
  18. We would enjoy children’s stories.
  19. We wouldn’t rely on technology to feel connected.
  20. We would use pranks as a form of appreciation.


There are so many things camp does for us that the real world would be enhanced by introducing. Camp builds people up and supports who people plan to be.
Camp is my safe haven. Three summers ago, I wouldn't speak. I didn't have the trust and friendliness to open up and be part of my cabin. Throughout the week, I went from not speaking to anyone to speaking to one camper and one counselor. That summer, I made goals and got my first rag. Two summers ago, I came back and I had trouble talking to my cabin mates and two new counselors. Eventually, the discomfort became friendship. Those counselors became more like mentors and I trusted them. Making more goals and getting my second rag, I went home changed and all the beauty of camp made everything better. This last summer, I went from being the shy and antisocial camper to the one that was invited back as a Counselor in Training. Staying 6 weeks instead of 1, I became someone those counselors could make use of. I hope I made them proud. Camp saved me from many situations that could have unfolded just by being safe and encouraging. I went home impatient for summer to come again, and I'm still waiting to go back to grow some more.
Last spring, I would go to girls’ group with my church and sit under a table or behind a chair during our movie time and now, after camp, I speak with a newfound confidence and in comfort with the people around me. Camp is what took the shy and uncomfortable person I had been, and transformed me into someone with no reservation in being myself.
For me, camp will always be my home away from home. I think of my favorite people I met there, and I smile. I can’t wait to go back and experience each special thing all over again countless times. Camp has been my life saver. I think the opportunities presented by camp are the best to learn from.  Camp gives independence in an open and accepting environment that provides room to grow and mature while still keeping the childlike nature that is important.

What’s your camp moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment