Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Baby Gosling Watch

Mother Goose was off to go eat a couple days ago, when I peeked in and saw that she is up to ten eggs! Wow!!! She has been pulling out her downy feathers and making her nest nice and soft, but we have red flag wind warnings this week, so the nest has been work for her to maintain.


She doesn't like me near, nor does the gander, but she does seem to be doing okay. I would have loved to have her in her regular house, but this is where she selected so I am worried that moving her would be quite disruptive.


Gander likes to tell the other animals what to do, and protect mother Goose fiercely.


Still, he continues with his quality control behavior, here inspecting the job Wyatt and I did with our pens cleaning on Monday and putting fresh DE down.


Mother Goose has been fluffing and fussing and preening her nest, so I sure hope she gets some babies from the hatch. Do any of you have any experience with free range geese nesting in odd spots? Because we don't want her long term home to be so close to the swing set and the greenhouse, I am concerned about moving her other partial fence over there.


I will have to do something, though, since we will be dividing farm duties in rotation during county fair and we won't have as much time to help her around the time they hatch. I suppose I will do some more research today, though if you all have tried it, I would love to hear your experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment