Saturday, August 14, 2010

Watch Kenny Chesney’s New Video For “The Boys of Fall”

I spent today at the first two scrimmages the precede the football season for Wyatt and the Cadet level team he plays with as the Tucson Steelers.

Last year, Wyatt was a newbie. He watched what else was going on, but I was never really sure how much he liked it. The reason was, I didn't want Wyatt Clay to feel like he had to like football just because his Daddy LOVES football. I want him to find his own way. Wyatt didn't seem to feel it yet. For those of you who don't know what I mean, think back to that one special thing, or two, that in your life mean so much.

I was a ballerina, a pilot, and those adrenaline rushes have also manifested in other things over time, like aerobics, running, even the occasional bull riding in my college days. I love dance, I love airplanes. I watch the ballet, I can feel it. I dance when no one is watching to express myself. I watch the planes overhead, and every airshow I can talk Charlie into. He sees the planes like he works on every day. I can still feel the rush of a takeoff, the buffeting of an eminent stall, the last little rush of flight when you coast, hovering just before landing. I still love to watch rodeo, but I don't feel the bull riding any more. So while I want the kids to try everything they want to in life (okay, within reason, I am a Mama), I want them to feel the devotion of those special things they feel in their hearts.

I don't know how long football will mean something to Wyatt. This week, Charlie left an article out for me to read. I read about Kenny CHesney's transformation on the road this last year. How he needed to recharge, and had reached back to the love of his life before music- football. He talked about the rush of it, the way it taught him to work for what he wanted. That it taught him about life, teamwork and family. When he needed to recharge, he worked on a project which not only glorifies youth and school football, it highlights the meaning of the lessons learned and how those lessons stay with you for life. Thosse lessons struck a chord for me.

I passed the article back to Charlie, but he hadn't read it yet. I thought he should, then it followed through the family. Right after, the boys came across the extended video on TV. One coach quoted in the video spoke about the feeling, the rush. And he mentioned that after the weekly games are over, few things equal that rush.

For today, Wyatt was on his feet, or sitting on the sidelines, but engaged in the game. He rejoiced in the success of others, and was excited to come home and show me things. He is practicing on a dummy behind me, as he just missed the sack he went for in the second scrimmage. I guess anything that turns a kid on to working hard for a goal, and gets a child who is as careful as Wyatt is about who he talks to to reach out and compliment kids he doesn't really know- can't be a bad thing to really feel. For now, I will have to swallow hard and watch my baby get hit on the field. And smile as he talks to his chickens and best friend the dog about what he loves when he is away from the farm.

I hope my new little veteran player, and his buddies he is growing up with on the field, always have something to feel like that. And for those of you who might not know country music, here is a link to the video. Hope it helps remind you to keep reaching out for what you love. Even if you have forgotten for a while.


Watch Kenny Chesney’s New Video For “The Boys of Fall”

No comments:

Post a Comment